I’m always on the look out for new great “how to” videos or books for setting up and marketing web apps. I’ve always liked the presentations and talks from Aaron Patzer from Mint.com, which he started and sold for $170 Million within 3 years. He’s talks are very open and frank and I think they make a lot sense.
Just found this great talk from FOWA Miami 2010. Some of the key points Aaron makes are:
- Solve a real problem (in a large market)
- Will the problem exist in 5 years time
- Have a real revenue potential (get an idea of revenue per user)
- Sustainable advantage (best user interface, quickest, best features etc)
- Share your idea
- Validate the idea (ask people in the street)
- Buy a great domain name
- Get alpha users
- Interview using Top Grading approach (ask why a lot when interviewing new staff based on the book Top Grading)
- Hire an aggressive PR company, when you are ready!